Top of the List: Pleasantly plump is the new you, fiscal cliff update and Storm returns to ESPN
It’s the beginning of the New Year and these were the headlines people were talking about.
1) PLEASANTLY PLUMP: Expand your waistline, extend your life? Scientists are now saying "pleasantly plump" could be the new "lean and mean." This doesn't mean you should ditch that diet resolution and set up your RV in a Dunkin Donuts parking lot, but they do say a little extra weight may be okay – and you still need to consider your blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
The information comes from a compilation of nearly 100 studies around the world. The longest life spans were found in people who are overweight, but not obese.
2) FISCAL CLIFF FINISH LINE: While most of us were asleep, it seems Congress was pretending to work. At 2:00 a.m. Wednesday morning, the House approved the Senate Measure. President Obama will then sign it into law. It raises taxes on those earning more than $450,000, but all of us will see a smaller paycheck because of an increase in social security tax.
Get ready to do the fiscal cliff climbing all over again in two months when Congress is forced to tackle spending cuts and the debt ceiling.
3) FOOTBALL FRENZY: Americans have been gorging on a steady diet of turkey and pigskin since mid-December. There has been a cascade of college football in the last month, and if you didn't like the games, the names alone were worth the price of admission. They included the Beef O'Brady's Bowl, the Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas, the Taxslayer.com Gator Bowl, and the San Diego Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl,
There are just six college bowl games left, including Friday night's Discover BCS National Championship game. Then it will be time to move on to the big leagues with the NFL playoffs beginning this weekend.
4) STORM WARNING: ESPN Anchor Hannah Storm has returned to TV after an accident with her propane grill. Three weeks ago she received second and third degree burns on her face, chest and hand. Storm was looking as good as ever during the Rose Bowl Parade. Storm credits her return to an incredible team of makeup artists who even created eyebrows for her.
The accident happened when Storm tried to re-light her propane grill. Propane gas is heavier than air which left it sitting around the grill causing the explosion.
“Just turning it off and re-igniting your grill isn't sufficient. You have to wait a long period of time for all that propane to dissipate before you would try to re-ignite your grill,” warns Storm.
5) TECHIE TRIVIA: The internet is turning 30! Originally conceived as a military project, the internet now gives two billion people worldwide access to fluffy puppies and skateboard mishaps. There are 239 million internet surfers in the US alone. The number one way they hop on the internet is through mobile devices.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.