Top of the List: Late night time out, 'The Voice' has a winner and an eagle stole my baby?
The top headlines people were talking about on December 19 were:
1) LATE NIGHT TIME OUT: The men of late night usually make us laugh, but this week they tried to make sense of the Sandy Hook Elementary tragedy. And like all of us, they struggled.
“You think about the kids, but that's awful. You think about the parents and friends getting that message from the school and finding their lives are irrevocably destroyed ruined,” said David Letterman.
“We gave a lot of thought to canceling this show tonight, but in the end we decided not to in the hopes of maybe offering a brief distraction and maybe put a smile on your face before you go to bed,” said Jay Leno.
This is not the first time that talk show hosts addressed national tragedies. Los Angeles based Jimmy Kimmel did shows in New York during Superstorm Sandy.
2) PERSON OF THE YEAR: Time Magazine has named President Barack Obama as the person who has most influenced the culture and news. On the short list were: Former President Bill Clinton, his wife Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani teen who was shot for her anti-Taliban blog.
3) OH SNAP: Instagram is backing off after angry wanna-be photographers raised a concern over a new policy that would allow them to sell your photos or use them in ads without your permission.
4) EAGLE STOLE MY BABY: Did an eagle really steal a baby? The internet is squawking over a home video of a golden eagle snatching a baby from a park. People are now saying the video is fake. Plus, it turns out there is no news of this seemingly incredible story anywhere in Canada where the incident allegedly took place.
5) VOICE OF A CHAMPION: Ending the year on a high note is pop rocker Cassadee Pope. She was this season’s winner on “The Voice.” Terry McDermott came in second and Nicholas David was third.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.