Top of the List: DJs shattered over Royal prank, monkey in Ikea, and Jenni Rivera dies in crash
It’s December 10 and these were the stories people were talking about:
1) TEARS FOR JACINTHA: The two Australian DJs behind last week's royal hospital prank described themselves as "shattered and gutted" Monday. Mel Greig and Michael Christian spoke to the media for first time following suicide of nurse Jacintha Saldhana.
The pair said they never thought the call would go through. But it did and Saldhana patched through the infamous prank call where the DJs pretended to be the Queen and Prince Charles. They ended up fooling the staff who released personal information about the duchess.
“There's not a minute that goes by that we don't think about her family and what they are going through and to think we may have played a part in it is gut wrenching," Greig said.
The DJs are off the air indefinitely as a show of respect.
2) SONGBIRD TRAGEDY: Singer and reality show star Jenni Rivera died in a plane crash near Monterrey, Mexico on Sunday. The brassy, sassy Mexican-American singer was a favorite of Spanish language television. Her international appeal also covered fragrance, cosmetic and clothing lines, and a foundation for single moms. And she was about to get bigger by crossing over to English-speaking audiences with a self-titled show for ABC titled simply: "Jenni."
She was just 43 years old.
3) GAS DUMP AT THE PUMP: There is good news for your wallet this December. Gas prices are down 46 cents since September. The cheapest place to pump gas is Memphis with prices only $3.04 a gallon.
4) FOOTBALL FUMBLES: It was a record breaking embarrassment and "what just happened?" moment Sunday for Seahawks and Cardinals fans. The final score was 58 to nothing. The Seahawks broke two records in the trouncing: highest franchise score ever and greatest margin of victory.
And what did the Cardinals get? Red jerseys and red faces. It was the biggest loss in team history.
5) IT’S A JUNGLE IN THERE: In Toronto, a pet monkey wearing a shearling coat made his way out of a crate in his companions' car in an Ikea parking lot. The little guy sauntered into the store, and was caught on camera by surprised shoppers.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.