Top of the List: Jaw-dropping images of Superstorm Sandy
Hurricane Sandy hit New York on Monday which is why it’s made the top of our list for October 30.
1) PICTURES WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS: Topping our list is the jaw-dropping images of Sandy we'll never forget. New York commuters will never look at the New York City subway entrance the same way again. There is also an incredible photo of a 700 ton tanker that was once a mile out at sea, but now is beached on Staten Island. There are so many storm moments caught on camera. It didn't take Sandy long to bring the city to its knees, it could take years for it to completely recover.
2) ONE FOR THE BOOKS: The statistics from Hurricane Sandy tell the story of the storm. They include:
- 8 million people who lost power during the storm
- 80 mile per hour hurricane force winds
- 14,000 flights were canceled
- 13-foot storm surge in New York's Battery Park
- Estimated $10 to $20 billion in damage
But the amount of human misery is incalculable. On Tuesday, it was reported that close to a hundred people died on Sandy's path of destruction in the United States.
3) ANTI-POLITICS: Hurricane Sandy also blew Obama and Romney’s election campaigns off course and into non-partisan territory. Both of the candidates put the nation’s priorities first during this time of need.
4) RIP TO THE HMS BOUNTY: The three masted 18th century replica of the HMS Bounty sank Monday and it was just as dramatic as the movie that made it famous. The iconic tall ship sank off North Carolina during the storm when it got caught in waves as high as 30 feet.
The Bounty had left Connecticut on Thursday bound for Florida, and destruction.
5) WHO'S LAUGHING NOW? David Letterman and Jimmy Fallon braved Hurricane Sandy alone. They delivered full shows without audiences.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.