The Breakdown: Ditch the basic burgers and brews with these tailgating tips
Tailgating ideas from Chef Matt Grunwald
It's tailgating time, but don't settle for chips and beer. Here are 3 great tailgating tips from Chef Matt Grunwald.
1) GOURMET BURGERS: Perfectly seasoned, grilled over medium heat, 80 percent fat hamburgers are professionally crafted when served with Chef Matt Grunwald's Chipotle-Lime-Greek Yogurt Dressing (recipe below), White American Cheese, Freshly Sliced Avocados and a Pinch of Smoked Paprika.
2) DRESSED UP DOGS: Ditch the redundant relish on your next grilled hotdog and trade up with Grunwald's Roasted Red Pepper, Caramelized Onion, Sun-Dried Tomato and Peppadew Pepper Relish. Also, cook in a cast iron skillet on the grill. Butterflied, buttered hot dogs arrive at culinary perfection when browned in a cast iron skillet on the grill.
3) AMAZING DRINKS: Be a tailgate mixologist by serving Chef Matt's Desert Orange Smash. All it is is muddled limes and mint that are vigorously shaken with Tequila, Triple Sec, and a slice of Serrano Chili. Once strained, this lively drink is topped with a touch of Clementine Soda. A great way to kick off your tailgating party.
Follow Matt on Twitter at Twitter.com/ChefMatthewG
Plus, the 5 essential tools you'll be glad you brought to a Tailgate:
1) Mosquito/bug repellant
2) Cast iron skillet
3) Duct Tape
4) A few Lighters
5) Frozen Water Bottles
Chef Matt Grunwald's Chipotle, Lime and Greek Yogurt Sauce:
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup high-quality mayo
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 chipotle peppers, chopped
- 3 strips crispy bacon, chopped
In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients together and whisk. Make the night before and store in an airtight container for maximum flavor potential.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.