What schools make the list for being pet friendly?
College dorms turned into animal houses
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - Millions of college students are heading back to class for the spring semester, but a fraction of those are returning with a furry friend. A handful of schools offer dorms that are pet friendly.
Pets.com ranked the top ten friendly schools:
1. Stephens College, Columbia, Missouri
2. Stetson University, Deland, Florida
3. Washington and Jefferson College, Washington, Pennsylvania
4. Eckerd College, St. Petersburg, Florida
5. State University of New York at Canton, Canton, New York
6. Lehigh University, Lehigh, Pennsylvania
7. California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California
8. Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio
9. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Champaign, Illinois
10. Principia College, Elsah, Illinois
If you want to study in sunny Florida with your pet by your side then check out Eckerd College in St. Petersburg. The school allows most dogs and cats along with some caged critters.
“I’m very less stressed with him here; it’s great I have a little running buddy we go running every morning we hang out," said student Lauren Thompson. "He’s the perfect dorm dog. He doesn’t bark. He’s content biting on the toy.”
The school has about sixty pets living on campus. The fury friends include dogs, cats, rabbits and even birds. School leaders said the pet program helps improve the student experience.
“We are noticing students are being able to behave better and study better, because they have a little animal, a piece of family with them at all time,” said Eckerd college spokesperson Tonya Womack.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.