Spring Training: The Tribe is pumped for a great season
CLEVELAND - Progressive Field may be empty, but Cleveland Indians fans are getting excited for April 8. In fact, single game tickets for the Indians' home opener sold out within six minutes.
"So much excitement and so much energy around here," said pitcher Vinnie Pestano.
But you don’t have to wait. The Tribe is in full swing at Goodyear Ballpark in Arizona, and there are perks for fans besides the warm weather.
According to Goodyear Ballpark's Debbie Diveney, "As the players are walking out to the field, they do interact with a lot of the fans and sign autographs."
Diveney has a list of ways, to make sure you can get your favorite player’s autograph.
1. Before the games, people will get autographs from the player down the line.
2. Watch the team’s daily workouts at the practice fields. It's free and open to the public.
3. Check out one of the autograph days this season. Before gates open the park distributes a limited number of autograph tickets for the autograph session pre-game.
But if you can’t make it to Arizona to see your favorite players, where can you catch the guys here in Cleveland?
Second baseman for the Indians, Jason Kipnis, says he stays low key. "Corner Alley, bowl a couple games there. [I'm] not too shabby.. about 170 average."
Pestano gave us his list of favorite Cleveland restaurants. "The Barley House over on West 6th. If I want a really nice dinner, I usually hit up Lola or Greenhouse Tavern over on 4th."
And Tribe fans aren’t the only ones excited for a new season. Pestano and Kipness tells us what their looking forward to this year.
Vinne Pestano :
1. Beating the Tigers
2. Watching our offense work
3. Watching our pitching dominate
1. Playing with new teammates
2. Playing in front of the Cleveland fans
3. Playing for Francona
If you are heading to Spring Training, stay tuned. Next Tuesday, we’ll give you a list of fun places to check out around Goodyear Park, and where the Indians like to hang out, while they’re there.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.